VLADIMIR BECK The Mechanical Engineer
| || AGE: 62 |
Engineer, Oil Industry (retired) Currently buys, sells and delivers boats part time
Los Angeles, Calif.
MS, Mechanical Engineering, Sir George Williams University
Vladimir has been a mechanical engineer since the 1970s and spent many years working as an engineer in oil refineries. Though highly intelligent, Vladimir is much more than a brain. He is quick to point out his love of the land and his ability to "survive, build shelter, make water, procure food and make sure everyone is safe." He spent a number of years in the military and one of Vladimir’s greatest accomplishments is escaping Communist Croatia as a young man. He says that the time he spent in Croatia still plays a significant role in his caring for others because he saw "how [his] own folk suffered." Vladimir is 62 years old but "doesn't feel over 21."
The ColonyAbout the Show
What would you do in the wake of a global catastrophe? How would you find food? Water? Shelter?
The Colony is a controlled experiment to see exactly what it would take to survive and rebuild under these circumstances. For 10 weeks, a group of 10 volunteers, whose backgrounds and expertise represent a cross-section of modern society, are isolated in an urban environment outside Los Angeles and tasked with creating a livable society.
With no electricity from the grid, no running water and no communication with the outside world, all the volunteers have to work with are their skills and whatever tools and supplies they can scavenge from their surroundings.
Experts from the fields of homeland security, engineering and psychology have helped design the world of The Colony to reflect elements from both real-life disasters and models of what the future could look like after a global viral outbreak.
Over the course of the 10-week experiment, the Colonists must work together to build the necessities of survival, such as a water-filtration system, a battery bank that powered their electricity, a solar cooker, a shower system and a greenhouse – and even some niceties (a coffee maker!).
Tune in Tuesdays at 10 p.m. ET/PT to see who thrives and who fails to survive.
Don't miss the next chapter, A Stranger Among Us premiering Tuesday, August 18 at 10 p.m. The Colony makes a major leap with a new power source, but faces a new threat from a seductive stranger.Episode GuideArrival and Survival
- July 21, 2009 Ten volunteers enter an experimental post-catastrophe world to see if they can survive and rebuild after a global disaster. Cordoned off in a downtown Los Angeles warehouse, they must secure shelter, filter water, and defend their new home from thieves.Power Struggle
- July 28, 2009 With their power supply dwindling, the volunteers attempt to build a generator that runs on smoke from wood scraps. When they scavenge the nearby streets for supplies, they must face off with a motorcycle-riding thug.Comfort in Chaos
- August 4, 2009 After securing the basic necessities for survival, the volunteers focus on the one creature comfort they can't live without: a hot shower. But focusing on comfort leaves them open to a massive attack that threatens their long-term survival.Safety and Security
- August 11, 2009 After an attack shatters the volunteers' sense of security, they must focus on building weapons and fortifying the warehouse. But before they can finish, a truckload of gun-toting traders arrives to test the volunteers' unity.A Stranger Among Us
- August 18, 2009 The volunteers have the opportunity to up their electricity and power capabilities when they scavenge a stock of abandoned solar panels. But the experiment takes a violent turn when a stranger breeches their security and tries to steal their supplies.Loss and Communication
- August 25, 2009 The volunteers are rocked by the disappearance of a treasured member during a search party mission. The loss spurs them to build a collection of communication devices in hopes that their missing member is somewhere out there…listening.A Test of Faith
- September 1, 2009 The Colonists run into missionaries on a river trip, and John V's moral compass is shaken. The arrival of two new visitors creates an internal rift and the group must sacrifice one of their own to survive.
Formatted for CROWN by Marko Puljić
Distributed by www.Croatia.org This message is intended for Croatian Associations / Institutions and their Friends in Croatia and in the World. The opinions / articles expressed on this list do not reflect personal opinions of the moderator. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please delete or destroy all copies of this communication and please, let us know! Or simply...enjoy and spread the word and good vibrations.