» Professor Mladen Vranić, outstanding Croatian scientist in Canada
|Professor Mladen Vranić, outstanding Croatian scientist in Canada
|By Prof.Dr. Darko Zubrinic |
In closing, Mladen's greatest pride is in his students and post-doctoral fellows who are so well recognized internationally. To mention a few:
This does not even mention a number of younger scientists who have yet to make a name for themselves. A special privilege has been the friendship of a large number of collaborators in the borderless, international milieu that is science.
- Ryuzo Kawamori, Chair of Department of Medicine, Juntendo University, Tokyo, Japan and President of the Japanese Diabetes Association;
- Patricia Brubaker, Professor of Physiology and Medicine, Canada Research Chair in Physiology and Associate Chair of the Department of Physiology;
- Adria Giacca, Full Professor, Department of Physiology, University of Toronto;
- Alan Cherrington, Chair of the Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University, Former President, American Diabetes Association;
- David Wasserman, Professor, Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, Vanderbilt University, Nashville;
- Andre Marette, Professor of Anatomy and Physiology, FRSQ National Scientist, Chair CIHR Research Team on Cardiovascular Complications of Diabetes Associate Professor, Laval University, Quebec;
- Jerry Radziuk, Professor of Physiology and Medicine, University of Ottawa;
- Diane Finegood, Scientific Director, CIHR Institute of Nutrition, Metabolism and Diabetes, Professor of Physiology and Medicine, Simon Fraser University, British Columbia;
- Qing Shi, Medical Director, Amphastar Pharmaceuticals, Rancho Cucamonga, Adjunct Profesor, Department of Physiology, University of Toronto;
- Kunhiro Doi, President Japan Clinical Diabetes Society;
- Philippe Holbone, Professor University of Geneva, Former President, European Association for the Study of Diabetes;
- Ola Bjorkman, Managing Director Stockholm – Upsalla Science Park;
- David Lau, Professor of Medicine and Director of the Julia McFarlane Diabetes Research Centre, University of Calgary, Alberta;
- Friedrich Kemmer, Professor and Chair, Department of Nephrology and Endocrinology, State Hospital, Brandenburg, Germany.
Selected Bibliography (from a total of over 290 published papers and chapters)
- Vranic M. The effects of cortisol on guinea pigs with normal and atrophic exocrine pancreas. Diabetes 14:194-200, 1965.
- Vranic M. Professor Charles H. Best. In: Excellent Teachers: Intellectual Roots of the Royal Society of Canada (ed. A.C. Michalos), Althouse Press, 2003 In Press.
- Muller WA, Girardier L, Seydoux J, Berger M, Renold AE and Vranic M. Extrapancreatic glucagon and glucagon-like immunoreactivity in depancreatized dogs: a quantitative assessment of secretion rates and anatomical delineation of sources. J Clin Invest 62:124-132, 1978.
- Doi K, Prentki M, Yip C, Muller W, Jeanrenaud B and Vranic M. Identical biological effects of pancreatic glucagon and a purified moiety of canine gastric glucagon. J Clin Invest 63:525-531, 1979.
- Radziuk J, Norwich KH and Vranic M. Experimental validation of measurements of glucose turnover in nonsteady state. Am J Physiol 234: E84-E93, 1978.
- Vranic M, Morita S and Steiner G. Insulin resistance in obesity analyzed by the response of glucose kinetics to glucagon infusion. Diabetes 29:169-176, 1980.
- Finegood DT, Bergman RN and Vranic M. Estimation of endogenous glucose production during hyperinsulinemic euglycemic glucose clamps: Comparison of unlabeled and labeled exogenous glucose infusates. Diabetes 36:914-924, 1987.
- Cherrington AD and Vranic M. Effect of arginine on glucose turnover and plasma free acids in normal dogs. Diabetes 22:537-543, 1973.
- Kemmer FW, Sirek A, Sirek OV, Perez G and Vranic M. Glucoregulatory mechanisms following hypophysectomy in diabetic dogs with residual insulin secretion. Diabetes 32:26-34, 1983.
- Vranic M and Wrenshall G. Exercise, insulin and glucose turnover in dogs. Endocrinol:85:165-71, 1969.
- Vranic M, Kawamori R, Pek S, Kovacevic N and Wrenshall GA. The essentiality of insulin and the role of glucagon in regulating glucose turnover during strenuous exercise. J Clin Invest 57:245-255, 1975.
- Kawamori R and Vranic M. Mechanisms of exercise-induced hypoglycemia in depancreatized dogs maintained on long-acting insulin. J Clin Invest 59:331-337, 1977.
- Berger M, Halban PA, Muller WA, Offord RE, Renold A and Vranic M. Mobilization of subcutaneously injected tritiated insulin in rats: effect of muscular exercise. Diabetologia 15:113-40, 1978.
- Zinman B, Murray FT, Vranic M, Albisser M, Leibel BS, McLean PA and Marliss E. Glucoregulation during moderate exercise in insulin treated diabeti8cs J Clin Endocrinol Metab 45:641-652, 1977.
- Challis RAJ, Vranic M and Rada GK. Bioenergetic changes during contraction and recovery in diabetic rat skeletal muscle. Am J Physiol. 256:E129-E137, 1989.
- Issekutz B and Vranic M. Role of glucagon in the regulation of glucose production in exercising dogs. Am J Physiol 238:E13-E20, 1980.
- Wasserman DH, Lickley HLA and Vranic M. Interactions between glucagon and other counterregulatory hormones during normoglycemic and hypoglycemic exercise in dogs. J Clin Invest 74:1404-1413, 1984.
- Wasserman DH, Lickley HLA and Vranic M. Important role of glucagon during exercise in diabetic dogs. J Appl Physiol 59:1272-1281, 1985.
- Vranic, M. and Berger, M. Exercise and diabetes mellitus. Editorial. Diabetes 28:147-167, 1979.
- Dimitrakoudis D, Ramlal T, Rastogi S, Vranic M and Klip A. Glycemia regulates the glucose transporter number in the plasma membrane of rat skeletal muscle. Biochem J 284:341-348, 1992.
- Tsakiridis T, Vranic M and Klip A. Disassembly of the actin network inhibits insulin-dependent stimulation of glucose transport and prevents recruitment of glucose transporters in plasma membrane. J Biol Chem 269:29934-42, 1994.
- Tsakiridis T, Vranic M and Klip A. Phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase and the actin network are not required for the stimulation of glucose transport caused by uncoupling the oxidative chain: Comparison with insulin action. Biochem J 309:1-5, 1995.
- Marliss EB and Vranic M. Intense exercise has unique effects on both insulin release and its role in glucoregulation: Implications for diabetes. Diabetes 51:S271-283, 2002.
- Vranic M and Berger M. Exercise and diabetes mellitus. Editorial. Diabetes 28:147-167, 1979.
- Wasserman D, Shi, ZQ and Vranic, M. Metabolic implications of exercise and physical fitness in physiology and diabetes. Ch. 27 In: Ellenberg and Rifkin's Diabetes Mellitus, 5th Edition (D.Porte and R. Sherwin, eds.). Appleton and Lange, Norwalk, USA, pp. 453-480, 2002.
- Giacca A, Fisher S, Gupta R, Shi ZQ, Lickley L and Vranic M. Importance of peripheral mechanisms of insulin action for regulation of hepatic glucose production in diabetes. J Clin Invest 90:1769-77, 1992.
- Lewis G, Vranic M and Giacca A. Role of combined effects of free fatty acids and glucagon in extra-pancreatic effect of insulin on hepatic glucose production in humans. Am J Physiol 275:E177-186, 1998.
- Lewis GH, Carpentier A, Vranic M and Giacca A. Resistance to insulin's direct hepatic effect in suppressing steady state glucose production with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Diabetes 48:570-76, 1999.
- Miles P, Yamatani K, Lickley L and Vranic M. Mechanism of glucoregulatory responses to stress and their deficiency in diabetes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 88:1296-1300, 1991.
- Lekas M, Fisher S, Van Delangeryt M, Vranic M and Shi ZQ. Glucose uptake during stress is enhanced by β-blockade and not mediated by insulin. J Appl Physiol 87:722-731, 1999.
- Rashid S, Shi ZQ, Niwa M, Mathoo JMR, Van Derlangeryt M, Bilinshi D, Lewis G and Vranic M Beta-blockade but not normoglycemia nor hyperinsulinemia markedly diminished stress-induced hyperglycemia in diabetic dogs. Diabetes 49:253-262, 2000.
- Fisher SJ, Lekas M, Shi ZQ, Bilinshi D, Carvalho G, Giacca A and Vranic M. Insulin-independent acute restoration of euglycemia normalizes the impaired glucose clearance during exercise in diabetic dogs. Diabetes 46:1805-1812, 1997.
- Sigal R, Purdon C, Fisher S, Halter JB, Vranic M and Marliss EB. Hyperinsulinemia prevents prolonged hyperglycemia by correcting glucose metabolic clearance following intense exercise in insulin-dependent diabetic subjects. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 79:1049-1057, 1994.
- Efendic S, Wajngot A and Vranic M. Increased activity of the glucose cycle in the liver: early characteristic of type 2 diabetes. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 82:2965-2969, 1985.
- Efendic S, Karlander S and Vranic M. Mild type 2 diabetes markedly increases glucose cycling in the postabsorptive state and during glucose infusion irrespective of obesity. J Clin Invest 81:1953-61, 1988.
- Shi ZQ, Giacca A, Fisher S, Vidal H, van der Werve G and Vranic M. Importance of substrate changes in the decrease of hepatic glucose cycling during insulin infusion and declining glycemia in the depancreatized dog. Diabetes 43:1284-1290, 1994.
- Rastogi S, Lickley L, Jokay M, Efendic S and Vranic M. Paradoxical reducation in pancreatic glucagon with normalization of somatostatin and decrease in insulin in normoglycemic alloxan-diabetic dogs: a putative mechanism of glucagon irresponsiveness to hypoglycemia. Endocrinol 126:1096-1104, 1990.
- Shi ZQ, Rastogi KS, Lekas M, Efendic S, Drucker DJ and Vranic M. Glucagon response to hypoglycemia is improved by insulin-independent restoration of normoglycemia in diabetic rats. Endocrinol 137:3193-3199, 1996.
- Chan O, Chan S, Inouye K, Shum K, Bilinski D, Matthews S and Vranic M. Diabetes impairs hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal (HPA) responses to hypoglycemia and insulin treatment normalizes HPA, but not epinephrine responses. Diabetes 51:1681-1689, 2002.
- Inouye K, Shum K, Chan O, Mathoo J, Matthews S and Vranic M. Effects of recurrent hyperinsulinemia with and without hypoglycemia on counterregulation in diabetic rats. Am J Physiol Endocrinol 282: E1369-E1379, 2002.
- Kiraly MA, Bates HE, Kaniuk N, Yue JTY, Brummel J, Matthews SG, Riddell MC, Vranic M. Swim training prevents hyperglycemia in ZDF rats: Mechanisms involved in partial maintenance of beta-cell function. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab, 2008. Published article online: 20-Nov-2007; doi: 10.1152/ajpendo.00476.2007
- Bates HE, Sirek AS, Kiraly MA, Yue JTY, Goche Montes D, Matthews SG, Vranic M. Adaptation to mild, intermittent stress delays development of hyperglycemia in the ZDF rat independent of food intake: role of habituation of the HPA axis, 2008. Endocrinology (in revision)
Conference Proceedings and Books Edited:
- M. Vranic. Tracer methodology and glucose turnover.Fed. Proc. 1837-1876, 1974.
- M. Vranic. Turnover of free fatty acids and triglyceride. Fed. Proc. 2233-2270, 1975.
- C.F. Ramberg and M. Vranic. Glucose recycling and gluconeogenesis. Fed. Proc. 225-270, 1977.
- M. Vranic, J. Wahren and S. Horvath. Proceedings of a conference on diabetes and exercise. Diabetes 28, Suppl. 1, pp. 1-113, 1979.
- M. Vranic, G. Steiner and C.H. Hollenberg. Comparison between Type I and Type II diabetes: Similarities and dissimilarities in etiology, pathogenesis and complications. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 189. Plenum Press, New York, 1985.
- A. Tiengo, K.G.M.M. Alberti, S. Del Prato and M. Vranic. Diabetes Secondary to Pancreatopathy: Proceedings of the Post EASD International Symposium on Diabetes Secondary to Pancreatopathy, Padova, Italy, 21-22 September 1987. Excerpta Medica-Elsevier, Amsterdam, 1988.
- Vranic, M., C. Hollenberg and S. Efendic. Fuel Homeostasis and The Nervous System. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 291. Plenum Press, New York and London, 1991.
- J.T. Devlin, E.S. Horton, and M. Vranic. Diabetes Mellitus and Exercise. Smith Gordon, London, England, 1992.
- Ostenson, C.-G., Efendic, S., Vranic, M. New concepts in the pathogenesis of NIDDM. Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol. 334. Plenum Press, , 1993.
- R. Kawamori, M. Vranic, E. Horton and M. Kubota. Glucose Fluxes, Exercise and Diabetes. Satellite Symposium of 15th IDF Congress, Nara, Japan. Smith-Gordon Co. Ltd., London, 1996.
In the January issue of Nacional Paper in Zagreb, Mladen was included into the list of most cited Diaspora Croatian scientist with 7500 citations.
This biography of Professor Mladen Vranić has been published in the following monograph:
Istaknuti hrvatski znanstvenici u Americi = Distinguished Croatian Scientists in America / editor Janko Herak, Zagreb: Hrvatsko-američko društvo, Hrvatska matica iseljenika , 1997
We express our deep gratitude to Professor Janko Herak and to the Croatian - American Society
in Zagreb for permission to present this text for the readers of CROWN.
Also many thanks to Professor Mladen Vranić for providing some biographical supplements concerning his work in the period of 1997-2007.
Formated for CROWN by prof.dr. Darko Žubrinić
Distributed by www.Croatia.org . This message is intended for Croatian Associations/Institutions and their Friends in Croatia and in the World. The opinions/articles expressed on this list do not reflect personal opinions of the moderator. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, please delete or destroy all copies of this communication and please, let us know!