» Events » NEW YORK: Croatian Film Screenings "THE RED DUST" by Zrinko Ogresta Thursday, October 5th, 2006 @ 7PM
» Culture And Arts » NEW YORK: Croatian Film Screenings "THE RED DUST" by Zrinko Ogresta Thursday, October 5th, 2006 @ 7PM
NEW YORK: Croatian Film Screenings "THE RED DUST" by Zrinko Ogresta Thursday, October 5th, 2006 @ 7PM
The Doors Art Foundation is proud to present monthly screenings featuring a selection of films from the Croatian cinema of the last decade.
THE RED DUST takes its title from a line in Dostoevesky which says that "the blood is least visible on the red" - a phrase whose significance is not revealed until the end of the film.
The story is told through the eyes of 16-year-old Skgra , who witnesses the whole, violent chain of events. Everything begins when Crni, a successful amateur boxer, deserts from the army after the authorities fail to deliver the telegram about his mother's death, and returns to Zagreb, where his girlfriend, Lidija, is about to marry the local mafia boss.
Crni himself drifts into petty crime, and ends up unintentionally working for the same boss. Lidija eventually leaves her violent husband, but dies in suspicious circumstances in Crni's house. He is jailed. Then the war breaks out and everything changes, and such small crimes begin to pale into insignificance alongside what is happening in Croatia.
- SELECTED FOR THE 56th MOSTRA INTERNAZIONALE D'ARTE CINEMATOGRAFICA DI VENEZIA
(official section) - Venezia (Italy, September 1999)
- CROATIAN REPRESENTATIVE FOR THE 72th ANNUALACADEMY AWARDS (1999)
- GRAND PRIX "GOLDEN ANCHOR"
HAIFA'S 15th INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL - Haifa (Israel, September 1999)
- THE BEST FOREIGN LANGUAGE FILM AWARD
WORLDFEST-FLAGSTAFF - Flagstaff (USA, November 1999)
- GRAND PRIX "AMORE E PSICHE"
MEDFILM INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL - Rome (Italy, November 1999)
- PULA FILM FESTIVAL (1999)
"ZLATNA VRATA PULE" AUDIENCE AWARD
ZLATNA ARENA Award - Best Director ZRINKO OGRESTA
ZLATNA ARENA Award - Best Screenplay GORAN TRIBUSON and ZRINKO OGRESTA
ZLATNA ARENA Award - Editing JOSIP PODVORAC
ZLATNA ARENA Award - Best Supporting Actor - ANTE VICAN
- For V train to Lower East Side / Second Avenue. Exit toward 1st Avenue. Walk north (away from Houston) to 3rd street, then east just past Avenue A to 155 East 3rd.
- 9 or 21 bus to Houston Street and Avenue A. Walk north to 3rd Street. Turn east and go a few doors down to 155 East 3rd.
- 14A bus to 3rd street and Avenue A.
- The 8 and 15 buses also come relatively close, as do these trains: 6 (Bleecker Street station), B and D (Grand Street), JMZ (Delancey / Essex), and L (1st Ave).