Men’s Tennis Blanks Utah State
Courtesy: New Mexico State University
Courtesy: Julie Baish
The men's tennis team downed WAC foe Utah State 7-0, Saturday afternoon.
Las Cruces, N.M. – The New Mexico State men’s tennis team dominated the Utah State Aggies 7-0, Saturday afternoon at the NMSU Tennis Center. The Aggies are now 2-0 in WAC matches in 2006 and 3-1 overall.
NMSU started strong in doubles action as they won two of three matches where the team of Stjepan Beg (Rab, Croatia) and Brice Magnanou (Montauban, France) defeated Zelle and Pinho 8-6 in the number one position andRoman Stoisavljevic (Zagreb, Croatia) and Tim America (Roermond, Netherlands) beat Tyden and Young 8-4 at the number two spot.
In singles action, the Aggies won all six matches, five of them in straight sets as Beg defeated Zelle (6-2, 6-4), Magnanou defeated Pinho (7-5, 6-3) and Stoisavljevic beat Netto (6-0, 6-2) in the one, two and three spots. In the four, five and six positions, Ricardo Gorostiaga defeated Young (6-1, 6-2), America dropped Marchant (6-2, 7-5) and Halligan beat Tyden (6-0, 1-6, 6-2).
“We played a little shaky in doubles play, but managed to hang on for the win, so that was good,” Aggie head coach Don Ball said. “Then we won five of six singles matches and the number six match was pretty close, but the others were never really in question. Both of our tennis teams are now 4-0 for the weekend and you can’t complain about that. The men now have two conference wins under their belt and overall it was a pretty good day.”
The Aggie men will be back in action tomorrow as they take on Northern Colorado at 9:00 a.m. at the Youth Tennis Center in El Paso.
1. Beg/ Magnanou (NMSU) d. Zelle/ Pinho (USU) – 8-6
2. Stoisavljevic/ America (NMSU) d. Tyden/ Young (USU) – 8-4
3. Banks/ Marchant (USU) d. Gorostiaga/ Pfeifer (NMSU) – 8-6
1. Beg (NMSU) d. Zelle (USU) – 6-2, 6-4
2. Magnanou (NMSU) d. Pinho (USU) – 7-5, 6-3
3. Stoisavljevic (NMSU) d. Netto (USU) – 6-0, 6-2
4. Gorostiaga (NMSU) d. Young (USU) – 6-1, 6-2
5. America (NMSU) d. Marchant (USU) – 6-2, 7-5
6. Halligan (NMSU) d. Tyden (USU) – 6-0, 1-6, 6-2