(E) Looking for Croatian Americans - Survey for Ph.D.
Looking for Croatian Americans.
Trazim zainteresirane Hrvate koji su zivjeli ili zive u SAD-u.
Please scroll down for English
Radim doktorat iz Amerikanistike na ELTE Sveucilistu u Budimpesti i pisem
radnju o Hrvatima u SAD-u. Trenutno trazim zainteresirane koji su zivjeli ili zive u SAD-u
u vezi kratke anonimne ankete preko email-a. Bilo kakav savjet je dobrodosao.
Puno bi mi znacila Vasa pomoc.
I'm currently undertaking a PhD at ELTE, Budapest and looking for Croatian Americans willing to contribute to my PhD dissertation by participating in a short, annonymus, email survey. Any advice on how to reach more people is welcome.
I would greatly appreciate your help.
CONSENT TO PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH
Title of Study: Croatian Diaspora in the US
You are asked to participate in a research study conducted by Anita BrkaniÄ‡ for her doctoral dissertation. Anita is a PhD student in the American Studies Department, ELTE University, Budapest, Hungary, and she is working under the supervision of Prof. Tibor Frank.If you have any questions or concerns about the research or you would prefer to complete a paper copy of the survey, please contact Anita BrkaniÄ‡ firstname.lastname@example.org OR email@example.com .
The purpose of the study is to look at the situation of the Croatian community in the United States today. Participating in this study will give you an opportunity to share your experiences as a Croatian living in the United States. You will also help increase our understanding of the identity and experiences of individuals of similar background. Any information that is obtained in connection with this study and that can be identified with you will always remain strictly confidential and will be disclosed only with your permission. All survey answers are safely stored and can only be accessed by the researcher. No risks or potential discomforts are expected from your participation in this study. You can decide whether to participate in this study or not. If you choose to be in this study, you may withdraw at any time without consequences of any kind. You may also refuse to answer any questions you do not want to answer and still remain in the study.
Thank you for your time and your help,
Please answer the questions below if you understand the information provided for the study as described herein and you agree to participate in this study.
Place of birth:
Number of years spent in the United States:
1. How do you view the present situation among Croatians in the US in terms of its leadership and organization? What are the most important positive/negative issues that the Croatian community in the US is dealing with today?
2. What, in your opinion, is the difference between the different generations of Croatians living in the US in terms of their identity and the level of attachment to the home country?
3. How much effort do you think is invested by the Croatian community to maintain their Croatian identity in the US today? What changes, if any, should be made?
4. To what extent is the younger Croatian generation in the US familiar with Croatian traditions, customs, holidays, language?
5. How do you see the prospect of the Croatian American Community in the USA? Do you see any important changes taking place in the future?
6. In your opinion, how did the achievement of Croatian independence influence the Croatian American community? Which generations, in your opinion, were most affected by the change?
7. What do you think is the general image of Croatia/Croatians in the US today?
8. If you visited Croatia in recent past years, how would you explain the general situation in the country today?
9. Would you consider returning to Croatia either permanently or temporarily? Why? / Why not? Please explain.
10. Please feel free to add anything or make any comments about your experience as a Croatian living in the US that you think would be relevant to this survey.
Thank you very much for your reply. Below are a few words about me.
I have also attached a more detailed CV as well as the survey itself. Please
let me know if you have any questions.
I really appreciate your help.
I am currently undertaking a PhD in American Studies at ELTE University in
Budapest, Hungary with special emphasis on emigration and cultural diversity.
I have completed part of my studies in Turku, Finland and have also been doing
research at the Human Rights and Social Justice Research Institute in London
where I worked with immigrants, asylum seekers and refugees - mostly from
Afghanistan and Iran. While studying, I worked as a journalist for Business
Hungary, the official magazine of the American Chamber of Commerce in
Budapest, as well as Diplomacy and Trade magazine. I have also written
articles for the Croatian Glas Slavonije covering Hungary’s accession to the
EU. While in Budapest, I often provide translation and interpreting services
to the Croatian National Tourist Board representative office in Hungary.
I am also in the process of publishing and article on Croatians in the US (in
Hungarian) which will hopefully be available in spring 2006.
In my PhD dissertation I plan to study how the Croats pursued their Croatian
American identity adventure. Many Croatian Americans have found a balance
between having a strong American identity and still preserving a clear public
profile as people of Croatian descent. The purpose of this study is to look at
the situation of the Croatian community in the United States today.
Contributing to this study will give the participants an opportunity to share
their experiences as Croatians living in the United States....
op-ed: Anita BrkaniÄ‡'s CV & Survey in MS Word upon a request from her.